Getting enough sleep is key to your health, safety, performance at school and work, and overall quality of life. Our busy lives can make it challenging to sleep well, so here are some tips to find a good balance.
What you can do
- Try to go to bed and get up at the same time each day, including weekends.
- If you’re unable to fall asleep, don’t stay in bed. Get up and do something relaxing, then try to sleep again when you start to feel drowsy, but work toward establishing a regular bedtime.
- Do not take naps.
- Avoid alcohol within 2 hours of bedtime.
- Avoid caffeine and nicotine within 4 to 6 hours of bedtime; they’re both stimulants.
- Get regular moderate exercise, but avoid strenuous exercise/activity (other than sex) within 3 hours of bedtime.
- Ensure your sleep environment is conducive to sleep— quiet, dark and comfortably cool or warm.
- Avoid eating a heavy meal close to bedtime, but don’t go to bed hungry — try a light carbohydrate snack, such as milk and soda crackers.
- Develop a relaxing bedtime routine — reading, listening to music, meditation — something that tells your body you’re getting ready to sleep.
Better Breath & Better Sleep Workshops
Better Breath dates for Fall 2017:
- Wednesday, October 4, 10:10 a.m -11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 1, 1:10 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 6, 10:10 am – 11:30 a.m.
Better Sleep dates for Fall 2017:
- Wednesday October 11, 10:10 a.m. -12:00 p.m.
- Wednesday November 8, 1:10 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday December 13, 10:10 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Attending Better Breath prior to Better Sleep is recommended but not required.
Where: Koffler Student Services Centre, 214 College Street, 2nd Floor, Room 204 - Group Room A
- Enter Koffler Student Services Centre on St. George Street.
- Follow the sign to Health & Wellness Centre, 2nd Floor and stop on the landing.
- Enter the group room using the door marked 204 on the landing area and follow the signs.
Facilitated by: Anita Gupta, Registered Psychologist and Rajani Sellathurai, Registered Nurse
Registration: Registration is required – please call the Health & Wellness Centre at 416-978-8030. If you have accommodation needs, please advise during registration.
Accessibility: Enter U of T Bookstore using entrance across from Health & Wellness on 1st Floor; ask any staff for assistance to access the elevator. Please see Elevator access to the 2nd floor Group Rooms for more information.